Thursday, January 28, 2010

What I do when people insult me.

The very first thing you have to understand about me, is that I do not get offended easily, this is for a number of reasons, including life experience. As far as personal insults go, yeah, every once and a while something will bug me, but for the most part, I've been called everything but the kitchen sink, and I'm still here.

Furthermore if I do get upset, I rarely stay that way for long. Yes it happens, but I simply have too many things going on in my head at any given time, to remember every single insult and offense. I am very good at laughing things off, for the simple fact that most of the time when people are spewing insults at you, they are trying so hard they only end up hurting themselves, and then it's downright comical to watch. I also have to keep in mind that I've probably done my fair share of insulting people, whether purposely doing so or not, so it wouldn't be logical for someone with as foul a mouth, and blunt an opinion, as myself, to run around hollering everytime someone calls me a name. I call things the way I see them, people sometimes don't like this, that's not my problem.

In the event that something does bug me, I would like to say that I give myself time before reacting, meditate on it, and go about my business. Unfortunately... or maybe fortunately, this hasn't always been the case. I am a woman, I have my moments, I don't feel like less of a woman for having those moments.  More often than not, in cases of minor offenses, I eventually forget. About the insult and the person behind it, and eventually they no longer exist in my world, because I simply stop thinking about it, or them.

I think that's how it should be. I don't think people should walk around pissed off all the time because someone called you a name. The best retaliation for any insult as far as I'm concerned, is to not acknowledge them. You'd be surprised how quickly you stop thinking about offenses when you don't give them energy to begin with. Furthermore, what you must remember, is that if someone is insulting you, they are probably channelling some deep inner feelings about themselves that haven't been addressed. If you keep calling someone an asshole, eventually the asshole becomes you. It's all part of incurring your own karma, which is why you should be careful of the thoughts you dwell on and the words you speak. Granted, I'm not saying you won't have a day or two when you mutter a few unsavory words about a person that pissed you off, but get it out of your system, and let it go. Frankly it is healthier for you to do so, because if you're still running your trap about some nonsense that happened months ago, and everyone else has moved on with their existential paths, it is you that is going to look like the fool.

It is possible to erase your own memories, by not thinking about whatever was causing you grief, but you cannot do this with all memories... well you could, but it probably would not be safe for you to do so. Some memories are in place to keep us from getting hurt again, or making the same mistakes. It is one of the reasons I agree with NOT forgiving people. And before you object to what I just typed, to be clear, there are some things that cannot be forgiven because to do so would cause you harm. Think about it.  But getting back to the subject of this blog, get a big mental eraser, and the next time someone insults you, erase them.

It's easier than you can possibly imagine.

Posted via web from Kali Ma: In Search of Truth and Saraswati

No comments:

Post a Comment